Re: draft-ietf-nat-protocol-complications-02.txt

2000-04-23 22:00:02
At 11:50 PM 4/22/2000 -0400, vinton g. cerf wrote:
big smile - vBNS+ is running IPv6 on a commercial basis. I'd be more than interested in your opinion of a sensible (acceptable) policy on the minimum size of IPv6 space one might expect
to allocate to customers.

Vint

Well that is a very interesting thought exercise depending on the market that is being addressed and what is the market growth in networked devices in the future.

If we were looking at a typicial household and you wanted to plan for the future I would have to assume 1 address for every single thing plugged in to any thing, phone, electrical appliances, water, maybe even sewage. Yes an IP address on your toilet. Now before we all giggle ourselves silly at that thought it might be reasonable to assume that at some point in the future sewage/water companies would want to monitor use in order to charge appropriately. Its been a desire of utility companies for some time to remotely retrieve usage data from households for the purposes of billing.

With "always on" IP and IP on anything this is closer to reality than we might think. In order to permit a reasonable allocation of addresses with room for growth the idea of 25 IP address per household and 10 person actually seems conservative.

Businesses are different but some of the needs are the same. The typical business customer has multiple devices at their command, many of which are currently IP addressable or certainly should be, phone, cell phone, printer, copier, fax, scanners, PDA's, cameras. 15 addressees per employee?

Ive never seen any studies on what is current enterprise consumption of IP addresses is per employee or what differences there might be between consumption in the automobile industry vs the aircraft industry vs a consumer products company vs a typicial teleco.

Whatever it is now it would be reasonable to assume that address consumption per employee within 10 years will be 4x what it is now.

Richard Shockey
Shockey Consulting LLC
8045 Big Bend Blvd. Suite 110
St. Louis, MO 63119
Voice 314.918.9020
eFAX Fax to EMail 815.333.1237 (Preferred for Fax)
INTERNET Mail & IFAX : rshockey(_at_)ix(_dot_)netcom(_dot_)com
GSTN Fax 314.918.9015
MediaGate iPost VoiceMail and Fax 800.260.4464