Re: draft-ietf-nat-protocol-complications-02.txt

2000-04-24 10:30:02
Richard Shockey wrote:

If we were looking at a typicial household and you wanted to plan for the
future I would have to assume 1 address for every single thing plugged in
to any thing, phone, electrical appliances, water, maybe even sewage. Yes
an IP address on your toilet.

[...]

Businesses are different but some of the needs are the same.  The typical
business customer has multiple devices at their command, many of which are
currently IP addressable or certainly should be, phone, cell phone,
printer, copier, fax, scanners, PDA's, cameras. 15 addressees per employee?

Maybe more--business needs would probably be almost a superset of home needs
(only major appliances I can think of that are in my home but not my office
are the washer and dryer).  If the sewage utilities find it useful to monitor
toilets, they'll want to include businesses--they'll probably start with
businesses, in fact, which will be more amenable to price incentives.

|John Stracke    | http://www.ecal.com |My opinions are my own.   |
|eCal Corp.      |"How can one conceive of a one party system in a|
|francis(_at_)ecal(_dot_)com|country that has over 200 varieties of cheese?" |
|                |--Charles de Gaulle                             |