How many IP addresses?

2000-04-25 04:20:03
At 11:06 PM 4/23/00 -0500, Richard Shockey wrote:
With "always on" IP and IP on anything this is closer to reality than we might think. In order to permit a reasonable allocation of addresses with room for growth the idea of 25 IP address per household and 10 person actually seems conservative.

Following this line of thought, I'd suggest taking the number of electrical outlets and multiplying by some suitable constant (say, 10, or 1000).

And what about all those little wireless-connected gadgets; an IP address for each TV remote-control (where everyone has their own, of course, for personalized access and prioritizing control conflicts...)

#g

Graham Klyne
(GK(_at_)ACM(_dot_)ORG)