Re: WAP - What A Problem...

2000-06-29 09:50:02
 I would tend to disagree, working for a
communications
company that specializes in working with
multinationals
and dealing with the associated infrastrucures in
foriegn countries I have found that in many countries
it is not financially feasible, nor geagraphically
feasible to try to create the kind of communications
infrastructure in place that we enjoy in some of the
more industrialized countries. For some countries it
is more feasible for people to use mobile technology
than to try to put in place the fiber, and copper
necessary to allow them to communicate using some of
what might be called the more traditional methods.
WAP, and mobile technology is a necessary component to
the future of the global economy.

Regards, Alan

--- Anthony Atkielski <anthony(_at_)atkielski(_dot_)com> wrote:
I don't understand why so much effort is expended on
things like WAP when
99% of the real world still doesn't have any access
at all to the Internet,
much less wireless access.  And even of those who
do, most have such slow
connections that even download a simple test page is
an ordeal.

I know it's not very sexy to drop the blue-sky toys,
but doesn't anyone ever
work on improving and democratizing existing
infrastructure instead of
widening the gap between what people really have and
what looks cool in the
lab?

  -- Anthony