RE: WAP - What A Problem...

2000-06-29 12:40:02

-----Original Message-----
From: Alan Simpkins [mailto:alan_simpkins(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com]
Sent: Thursday, June 29, 2000 2:04 PM

This I can agree with, the next question that
naturally follows then is is WAP the right protocol
for a fixed wireless application, or are we talking
about yet another set of standards and protocols. I
would tend to
think that one set should work for both.

WAP's working space is in cellular phones and two way pagers, i.e..,
in hand-held (or pocket kept) mobile devices in cellular environment
with fixed cell channels and continuous location update. Though TCP/IP
could have been used here too - but carriers and manufacturers of cell
phones/pagers chose not to use for reasons that have been previously
discussed here with great vigor by some folks :-).

Fixed location or limited mobility computers will most likely be
connected using WLL or specialized Wireless Broadband Internet Access
equipment or similar other options. They are no different than any
computer in the building using Wireless LAN, and should/will use
TCP/IP.  Have a look at website of Adaptive Broadband which designs
wireless Internet access equipment for ISPs.

Cheers,

--brijesh