Re: WAP - What A Problem...

2000-06-30 11:30:02

---------------------- Forwarded by Jim Stephenson-Dunn/C/HQ/3Com on 06/30/2000
11:24 AM ---------------------------

sent by:  Jim Stephenson-Dunn   -  Network Engineer, GIS LAN/WAN

To:   Alan Simpkins <alan_simpkins(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com>
cc:   Valdis(_dot_)Kletnieks(_at_)vt(_dot_)edu, Anthony Atkielski
      <anthony(_at_)ATKIELSKI(_dot_)COM>ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject:  Re: WAP - What A Problem...  (Document link: Database 'Jim
      Stephenson-Dunn', View '($Sent)')

Valdis and Alan, you have a very valid point, infrastructure is not only
expensive but very time consuming. The engineering component (configuration) is
a relatively quick process by comparison. A country cannot just throw in a
national communications infrastructure overnight.

Having said that though, if people don't know how to use the telephone, they are
unlikely to embrace the Internet. IMHO as the world slowly goes IP, this is
perhaps an attempt by the Telco,s who see shrinking margins to try and bolster
use of their products.

I am having conversations with about 9 people around the world who are building
a pure IP infrastructure (point to point fiber) who are going nowhere near the
Telco's. Whilst it may appeal to the boys and their toys complex who may feel
that having a WAP enabled handset empowers them and/or makes the neighbours
jealous WAP that brings the Internet to a cellular device is of limited use
because of the power and memory constraints of those devices. Why look at
information on a WAP enabled phone with it's small screen, when it is easier to
pull out my laptop, fire it up and  see all of the information in one place at
one time, with lots of memory and processing power at my command.

Whilst I realise that Voice protocols have their place, it is IMHO only a matter
of time, before this family of protocols gets to old and unworkable in the new
world order of IP, that we will have little choice but to take it into the
backyard with a shotgun.

Jim

       Legal Disclaimer

The opinions expressed within this mail are specifically my own and in no way
refer to or relate to any              ongoing business and/or the technical
direction of 3Com Corporation, or any subsidiary companies or
business units within 3Com Corporation and its subsidiaries.

Alan Simpkins <alan_simpkins(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com> on 06/30/2000 08:22:38 AM

Sent by:  Alan Simpkins <alan_simpkins(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com>