Re: WAP - What A Problem...

2000-06-30 10:20:02
thats why intelsat and a cosortium of telcos has
a charity that built a box that is solar powered
and provides n gsm phones access + 1 64kbps uplink/
downlink to geostatinary atellites

So that's what, 64/5 = 13 kbps per user?  Even as current Internet designs
require ever more bandwidth and strain even multi-megabit connections?  And
has anyone considered what happens when you have 6 million active ground
transceivers trying to communicate with a single satellite?

actualyl, a LOT of places that are really poor in
the world dont even have electricty- but they can get
batteries and if they use sms (e.g. for calling
emergency service/flying doctors/vets etc), they
can make them last quite a long time

Why use SMS instead of just voice?

Has anyone considered the ergonomics of WAP?  Even if it works perfectly,
how many people are willing to work on a screen smaller than a credit card?
How many people are capable of touch-typing on a keyboard with only ten soft
keys that must be pressed in various arcane combinations for almost ever
letter?  It just doesn't make intuitive sense.

Anyway, I have a really good instinct for picking technology winners, and
thus far I put WAP in the same category as MiniDiscs, bubble memory, color
fax machines, and quadraphonic sound.  I think the growth area is in
broadband land-based links; I don't understand why people have flown off on
tangents towards wireless when land links are just starting to come into
their own.  I suspect it is more politically motivated than technically
motivated, and that is one reason why I think it will fail.  A lot of time
and effort is being wasted on WAP.