RE: Addresses and ports and taxes -- oh my!

2000-08-03 11:00:03
Rakers, Jason wrote:

<> When household appliances begin becoming IP addressable, I think we will see
<> a move towards assigning an Internet IP address per household (much like
<> today's street address).  The household will perform NAT for all devices
<> within (one street address can house many people, not just one).

Bad analogy, even assuming all parties involved agreed that NAT was
a good thing (tm).  Many don't and IPv6 was designed to alleviate
addr space problems, not work around them (whcih is what NAT is).

Using your analogy, consider that people do not have one single
address -- One may have home, work, vacation house and POBox.
They're all valid and you'll find me at all of them (Well, except
work <g>). But not at the same time, and sometimes visitors need to
be rerouted from one location to another.

RL
--
R A Lichtensteiger              rali(_at_)activeiq(_dot_)com
                                781 276 4500

        Could not open /usr/bin/fortune. Lid on cookie jar sealed