Re: Addresses and ports and taxes -- oh my!

2000-08-03 16:10:03
When household appliances begin becoming IP addressable, I think we will see
a move towards assigning an Internet IP address per household (much like
today's street address).

make that an address *block* per household.

The household will perform NAT for all devices
within (one street address can house many people, not just one).

not likely - putting NAT in the path would make the household
net nearly useless (because a lot of the things for which you want
a household net imply assigning an external address to devices
within your household)

We are of course talking about IPv6 here - IPv4 doesn't have anywhere
nearly enough address space to give every household a single routable
address.  And NATs make no sense at all in a world where you have plenty
of address space.

At best NAPTs trade off address bits for port number bits - and in IPv6
port number bits are the ones that are scarce.

Keith