Re: getting IPv6 space without ARIN (Re: PAT )

2000-08-17 13:10:02
Sean,

Spamming the ietf list is bad form.

Trolling is no more appropriate.

Please take this elsewhere.

Thomas

smd(_at_)ebone(_dot_)net (Sean Doran) writes:

Brian Carpenter writes -

| Please, please, nobody ever pick a prefix at random.

Why not?  The chances of collision are quite small.  Moreover, in
the event of collision, IPv6 is supposed by design to facilitate
automatic renumbering, so moving to another prefix should be easy, right?
That's the hype.

Also, since automatic configuration and extra addresses in hosts
and routers is part of the IPv6 multihoming architecture, then
surely when there *IS* a TLA from which addresses percolate down,
surely the easy renumbering and ease of identifying which addresses
to prefer and which to deprecate -- stuff we hear is among the great
features of IPv6, incidentally -- means there is nearly no penalty
for having chosen a random prefix in the first place.

Therefore, shouldn't you (as an IPv6-Lover) be saying:

| Your prefix should *always* come from your upstream provider

"Your prefix should *eventually* come from your upstream providers,
when and if you acquire them"?   Or am I missing something fundamental?

      Sean.