Re: getting IPv6 space without ARIN (Re: PAT )

2000-08-17 11:10:03
Itojun -

| First of all, do not cook up IPv6 prefix on your own.  You cannot pick
| random prefix number, that can jeopadize the whole point of experiment.

Could you expand on that please?  So far, I see from Matt Crawford a single
reason (IP6.INT coordination), and that at least should be in the
draft, but I personally would be interested in what the objections
to a random selection of a global address really are.   An aesthetic
argument is fine, as long as it's an explanation of how it "jeapordizes
the whole point of experiment".

If it is possible, try to contact nearest upstream 6bone site, or
upstream ISP, to give you an IPv6 prefix

How does one evaluate the nearness of a 6bone site or ISP, so that
one can determine which is nearest?   What if the nearest is uncooperative?

        Sean.