Re: Topic drift Re: An Internet Draft as reference material

2000-09-27 10:40:02
i think there are two issues.

one is that when I-Ds were created, there was some controversy, mainly
revolving around the notion that we already had a forum for people putting out
ideas (known as RFCs), and that the fact that the public concept of RFC was
different from our intent, we should stick by our intent (and work on
educating the public).  if i remember correctly, it was within this part of
the discussion that we decided that I-Ds would be ephemeral documents.

if *we*, as an organization (or whatever we are) decide that I-Ds should no
longer be ephemeral documents, then we probably pop right back up in the
middle of the "should we have two archival document series" discussion again.
(though frankly i'm not sure the energy is there for at least the "RFC is the
one" side of the discussion.)

the second issue, as many have pointed out, is that there is no way to stop
http://www.internetdraftsforever.com from springing up (hey, maybe it's
already there!).  certainly, no one is (seriously) trying to prevent that from
happening.

i think of the current (officially ephemeral) I-Ds as being like Usenet
postings (remember those?).  people *do* cite them in articles occasionally,
dejanews (or whatever) does hang on to them forever, you can (or you could, in
the past at least) buy CDs full of them.  but, they don't have the "cachet" of
an RFC.

i personally would vote for keeping the I-Ds "officially ephemeral", and if
deja-id pops up to archive them, i'll probably occasionally poke around in
there myself.

cheers,  Greg