Re: Need to preserve Internet Drafts

2000-09-28 08:40:03
On Thu, 28 Sep 2000 10:55:11 EDT, Brijesh Kumar
<bkumar(_at_)ennovatenetworks(_dot_)com>  said:
Why would someone like to preserve some thing that has been found to
be not worth publishing as an RFC? What is next? Click on XX for paper

Reason 1:

"We considered that back in 1997, and it didn't work then"....

Reason 2:

"We considered that back in 1997, it sounded really cool then, but nobody
knew how to make it work so we didn't pursue it".

I think reason 2 is the more compelling - I'm told the (probably apocryphal)
story of NASA researching resurrecting the Saturn-V launch booster for very
heavy payloads that are beyond the Shuttle weight limit, but having to scrap
the idea because some critical information on exactly how to start up a
J-5 rocket engine had been lost in the mists of time....

--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Operating Systems Analyst