Re: Need to preserve Internet Drafts

2000-09-28 13:30:03

Bill Manning wrote:

% Bill Manning wrote:
%       [..from boilerplate..]
% > Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months and
% > may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any time.
%
%       [..comment...]
% > What constitutes "validity"?
%
% I would suggest only "possibly of current interest to an IETF WG".
%
% cheers,
% gja

        And if it becomes of "current interest to an IETF WG" after the
        six month window? Or if it is of interest to a non IETF WG, e.g.
        a legally oriented person doing IPR work? Can the IETF make
        "non-valid" collections of drafts available for prior art searches
        as an IETF function, esp. given the language in the boilerplate?

I dont see the definition of 'valid' as being binding on anyone
to *not* be interested in the document after 6 months, only that
no-one should *presume* the IETF cares about the I-D if it is more
than 6 months old. If in addition you've revoked the IETF's right to
copy your I-D's words after 6 months, any WG newly interested in your
old work simply has to find a different set of words to express those
ideas.

cheers,
gja