RE: Internationalization and the IETF

2000-12-13 07:10:02
Here is my contribution to the requested definitions.
--

Directory service = a software system that responds to requests for information
about entities, e.g. people in an organization. It's a system for managing

Microsoft Active Directory, Network Information Service (NIS), Novell Directory
Service (NDS) and X.500 are examples of directory services.
--

Address registry = a registry of numbers or addresses with some corresponding
data, e.g. names. Such a registry helps maintain names, which are identifiers

Let's say a Directory Service is multi-dimensional, in the sense it involves
many types of data, many levels of information you have to search in, while an
Address Registry has one dimension, in the sense it just maps addresses to
their corresponding name, like a telephone registry, DNS, WINS, the "hosts"
file or the "lmhosts" file.
--

So, what is DNS? In the TCP/IP world, the Domain Name System (DNS) is a
distributed database that provides the mapping between IP addresses and

E.T.