RE: Internationalization and the IETF

2000-12-12 08:50:01
At 05:40 AM 12/12/00 -0800, Gabriel Landowski wrote:
For the sake of a good discussion can we please have a
definition of "directory service" and "address
registry" to make sure we are all on the same page.

A Lookup, mapping, or address registry service takes a complete, precise query specification and returns a single, corresponding entry. (The entry can have any amount of data, but all the data belongs to a single leaf node.)

A directory service can take a partial specification and can "search", returning more than one corresponding entry.

The simple way to refer to the distinction is mapping vs. searching.

d/

=-=-=-=-=
Dave Crocker  <dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>
Brandenburg Consulting  <www.brandenburg.com>
Tel: +1.408.246.8253,  Fax: +1.408.273.6464