bookmarks (was Re: Internationalization and the IETF)

2000-12-07 23:20:03
At 09:06 AM 12/7/00 -0600, Robert G. Ferrell wrote:
I would hazard a guess that the vast majority
of Internet message addressing is done automatically through the use of
bookmarks/hyperlinks or email address books, anyway.

This line of reasoning has shown up regularly for 20 years, or so. Yes, before the web. The claim, then, was about email address book dominance.

However much such point-and-click mechanisms get used, there remains the need for human-to-human, non-electronic transfer of addresses, be they email or web, on billboards, business cards, and the like.

If we did not already have very wide-scale use of ascii, it might be worth considering numerals as the common form. But that wide-scale use is everywhere.

The entire point behind the IDN effort is to let communities use domain names in a form that is particularly comfortable for that community.

This does not eliminate a "common" form; nor does it show up any particular deficiencies of ascii as that form, nor benefits of digits as the form.

d/

=-=-=-=-=
Dave Crocker  <dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>
Brandenburg Consulting  <www.brandenburg.com>
Tel: +1.408.246.8253,  Fax: +1.408.273.6464