Re: Blue Sheet Etiquette

2001-12-17 03:50:02
    Date:        Sun, 16 Dec 2001 15:22:46 -0600
    From:        Matt Crawford <crawdad(_at_)fnal(_dot_)gov>

  | For the name harvesting attack, my favorite idea
  | (perhaps for no better reason than because its mine) is peel-off
  | numbered (or bar-coded) labels on the backs of the badges, to be
  | affixed to the blue sheet.

I thought the "drop a bar coded thing in a box" was a better idea.

Aside from keeping people names one step away from those who don't
really need to know them, this also means that the blue sheet could
be dispensed with entirely - along with the requirement on WG chairs
to keep on chasing its current location in the room, and keep it
moving - and remember to regain it at the end of the meeting.

It would also mean that you would no longer have to either be in your
seat at the precise time the sheet flies past, nor go chasing it around
the room later (blue sheets can be a real distraction in some meetings).
I think fixing this is an even more worthwhile goal than worrying about
blue sheet copiers.

This could be done by having a sheet of A4 sized (even Letter sized...)
paper containing bar codes with the registration info (people can cut/tear
it for themselves)  That would easily hold 30 bar codes or thereabouts,
which should be enough.

Or, we could simply have people toss their business card (or something
similar with their name on it) in the box - except then that has to be
stored, or transcribed, something bar coded would handle much more easily
with the down side of needing to be prepared in advance (and that means
a separate sheet individually printed for every attendee, correlated proberly).

kre