Re: Blue Sheet Etiquette

2001-12-19 06:30:03
On Mon, 17 Dec 2001, Robert Elz wrote:

    Date:        Sun, 16 Dec 2001 15:22:46 -0600
    From:        Matt Crawford <crawdad(_at_)fnal(_dot_)gov>

  | For the name harvesting attack, my favorite idea
  | (perhaps for no better reason than because its mine) is peel-off
  | numbered (or bar-coded) labels on the backs of the badges, to be
  | affixed to the blue sheet.

I thought the "drop a bar coded thing in a box" was a better idea.

urm, dropping a 'where did I put that sheaf' card into a box either at
entry or exit from a meeting is possibly a bad thing due to simple queuing
issues.

The system used at the Cisco Networkers conferences is quite ok, where
they have people at the entrance to each session who swipe your bar-coded
name badge through a portable machine.

Unfortunately (and why I didn't seriously pursue the same idea for APNIC
meetings) you need (extra) people at the door (increasing costs for the
Secretariat or the sponsor), or you end up with the same queuing problem
as people try to scan their badge/drop a card/write their name themselves
on entry.

If you've got money to burn, sure, have a complex system.  Having your
name badge being a proximity swipe card would probably be the easiest way
for attendees, but would send registration costs up to pay for such.

The blue sheets work.  If you're nervous about supplying your email
details, I believe the IETF name badges already have your registration
number on them, which would work just as well as a cross-reference if that
WG wished to contact you.[1]

I just wish the Secretariat would supply the sheets to the sessions with
clipboards + attached pen to make it easier to fill out, *and* a sheet at
the door for the late-comers/early-exiters.

--==--
Bruce.

[1] IMHO, by attending the session, you are giving the WG-chair permission
    to contact you after the IETF to supply information about the WG
    mailing list.  It does not (unless specified) give the WG-chair
    permission to subscribe you to such a mailing list.

Speaking for myself.