RE: Netmeeting - NAT issue

2002-03-18 16:50:02
The protocols explicit probe the first hop router on the network for
upnp capabilities.  In their model of a home gateway/LAN there is no
"internal" routing, the world is bridged, so the signaling should not
damage routing transparency.

But just imposing that model removes transparency.  Maybe I have a router
between my wireless and wired Ethernets.  That's a reasonable thing to
do--say, if the wired segment is 100Mbps and is carrying high-bandwidth
{broad|multi}cast traffic.  Or maybe I have a substantial number of home
appliances with network connections, and I don't trust their software to
be secure, so I put them in a DMZ, like this:

(Internal LAN) <--> (Firewall A) <--> (DMZ LAN) <--> (Firewall B) <-->
(Outside world)

|John Stracke                    |Principal Engineer            |
|jstracke(_at_)incentivesystems(_dot_)com   |Incentive Systems, Inc.       |
|http://www.incentivesystems.com |My opinions are my own.       |
|If God had not given us duct tape, it would have been necessary|
|to invent it.                                                  |