Re: Netmeeting - NAT issue

2002-03-18 18:20:03
Ahh, it doesn't have to damage routing transparency.   If we were to use
a signaling protocol that is carefully crafted to preserve routing
transparency (e.g. RSVP) then we can avoid this issue.

That's what I'm working on, but midcom and upnp as they're
currently defined most certainly do have routing-related
problems.

The upnp guys are not really thinking of damaging routing transparency.

Of course they weren't.  But the assumptions that the network
is single-homed and that there's only one NAT in the path and
that there are no firewall interactions are inherently non-
general, and any assumption that they fix "the" problem is
necessarily incorrect.  Seeing this stuff touted as a general-
purpose fix makes me very uncomfortable.

Melinda