Re: am i the only one...

2002-08-26 11:50:54
Thanks Mike and Don.

The point of my initial message was NOT to shame those who were ALREADY volunteering their time in a substantial way, such as being on the IAB or the IESG. Nor was I really targeting those who don't qualify to serve on NOMCOM.

As to folks such as Rob Elz & Vern Schryver who can't participate in person at the meetings but do participate online, it's important for them to continue to participate online by communicating their views of the leadership to the NOMCOM.

My point is simply this: there has been a lot of noise at IETF meetings and on the mailing list about how this or that is not managed well. Whether you think things run well or not, if you've participated in the IETF it's important that you help the group determine its own fate. Assuming that others will do the job for you is A Very Bad Idea.

Now as I wrote, 2 hours per week is a lot of time. But to mutilate a common bumper sticker, if you think good leadership is expensive, try bad.

Regards,

Eliot