RE: am i the only one...

2002-08-26 22:39:55
Eliot Lear [mailto://lear(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com] writes:

Thanks Mike and Don.

The point of my initial message was NOT to shame those who
were ALREADY
volunteering their time in a substantial way, such as being
on the IAB
or the IESG.  Nor was I really targeting those who don't qualify to
serve on NOMCOM.

As to folks such as Rob Elz & Vern Schryver who can't participate in
person at the meetings but do participate online, it's important for
them to continue to participate online by communicating their
views of
the leadership to the NOMCOM.

My point is simply this: there has been a lot of noise at
IETF meetings
and on the mailing list about how this or that is not managed well.
Whether you think things run well or not, if you've
participated in the
IETF it's important that you help the group determine its own fate.
Assuming that others will do the job for you is A Very Bad Idea.

Assuming that structural defects will be fixed through personnel changes is
also A Very Bad Idea.

Now as I wrote, 2 hours per week is a lot of time.  But to mutilate a
common bumper sticker, if you think good leadership is
expensive, try bad.

To use another trite catch-phrase, "Been there, done that".

Regards,

Eliot