Re: am i the only one...

2002-08-22 08:23:51
With apoligies to Don Eastlake - this is actually NOT a topic for the new
nomcom procedures group as it deals with current procedures and lack of
volunteers.

Stephen - as far as I know the "strict" requirements are that you have
attended two of the last three meetings and are not currently either an IESG
or IAB member.  Given that somewhere on the order of 2000 people attend each
meeting I would be  surprised if there were less than 1200 eligible.  In fact,
just looking at the attendence lists for Minn and Salt Lake reveals over a 120
eligibles in the first 3% of the combined list (I took the lists, deleted
everything but the email addresses, concatenated them and sorted then looked
for duplicate addresses).

I served on one nomcom, chaired one and advised one - I'd like to think that I
made a difference.  I want to echo Eliot 59 volunteers IS puny  If you want to
have an effect on the IETF, volunteer to help choose the IAB and IETF.  As it
stands right now, you've only got a one in six chance of actually having to do
anything and isn't that a reasonable risk to be able to say "stop bothering me
- I volunteered already"?

With respect to the person who was complaining about US centric
teleconferences - two of the three noncoms I was on had a member from
Australia.  We arranged the telecons to try and avoid having anyone have to be
awake at 2am local time...

Mike

On Thu, 22 Aug 2002 08:53:43 -0500 Stephen Sprunk