RE: a personal opinion on what to do about the sub-ip area

2002-12-09 18:12:08
My question is, what harm will be done to the WG's ability to deliver
and close by moving them? If there were are real need for cross group
coordination within the sub-IP area, that would be a little clearer.
Instead we have a situation where these groups need to coordinate with a
real area to accomplish their work, but feel they need dedicated area
directors to do that.

The only reason I can see that this would make any difference is if the
AD's in the natural home area were particularly critical of the work. If
that were the case, it would be difficult to coordinate with that area
as the charter requires, so I can't see that it really matters in the
long run. The only real gain here is the ability to run along under the
'natural home' AD's radar until the IESG gets the doc. That could be
good because it allows the group to bake the ideas before being
criticized, but it could also be bad because it makes the whole IESG
look like the bad guys when a doc is rejected after WG last call.

If the groups are really expected to close within a year anyway, they
must be sufficiently far along that a change in management will not
derail their efforts. If that is not the case, how would they survive if
sub-IP were a standing area and the nomcom decided to change the AD?

In any case, I believe the burden of proof needs to be on those who want
the area continued as to why close coordination between the WGs is a
more expedient approach to task completion than simply putting them back
in their natural homes.

Tony