Re: Searching for depressing moments of Internet history.....

2003-01-13 02:57:47
At 17:03 12/01/03, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:
Despite having lived through much recent history, I've forgotten a lot of it.... I just wonder: does anyone know/remember when the first Web porn site came online? Wondering whether it was before or after the first official release of Mosaic....

Obviously depends on what you mean "on-line".
1. as Dave said there were sex oriented "areas" on many computers.
2. I suppose the first commercial sex sites were on Minitel.
3. This means that technically they were on-line from the Internet legal perspective when it interconnected the public nets (84). Actually a few Internet private gateways existed before and some Intelmatics tests were probably carried in the USA as early as 1982, with protocol conversion. I would be surprised that no one test connected them from ARPANET. When people tested from abroad, I do not know why, they always did it with a porn site. 4.UK Universities also shared into Prestel and some where on the Internet (you should inquire there. They had a leading data brokering firm that "on-line", I Oxford (?) I think). I do not know about Paris University, but we can investigate.
jfc