Re: Searching for depressing moments of Internet history.....

2003-01-13 06:12:53
  By June and July of 1994 people were trying
adult http sites.  I'm afraid it's not clear how long
before this these sites actually existed.
I can tell you that there were very few adult sites
in 1994.  By 1996 the formula and format for such
sites was pretty well fixed and that same formula
and format is still used on 99% of sites today.
Why the creation of the first porn site is a
depressing moment I'm not sure.  In the first
couple years of the web, adult sites financed it's
development.  In 1997 and 1998 90% of commerce
on the web was adult related.  Within two years
of the first nudie pic being served via http the
adult operators had developed workable streaming
video.  A year later, in 1997, we installed the first
live video with audio streaming from a Dallas office.

  Adult operators also developed technologies such
as digital watermarking, the pay per click advertising
model, and usable http payment processing gateways
long before these technologies were adopted by
mainstream companies.  One of the biggest things to
make the web the commercially attractive was efficient
online payment processing.  The first http 3rd party
payment processing service was started in March
of 1995 by my friend Laith Alsarraf.  It would be
another TWO YEARS before mainstream sites had
a comparable online processor.

Porn sites filtered:
Date: 1994-07-08 18:37:06 PST
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=naked+http&start=60&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF
-8&as_drrb=b&as_mind=1&as_minm=1&as_miny=1994&as_maxd=13&as_maxm=7&as_maxy=1994
&selm=1994Jul8.110718.18031%40umiami.ir.miami.edu&rnum=69