Re: Financial state of the IETF - to be presented Wednesday

2003-03-17 13:29:40
Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:

The BIG number in these discussions is the cost of the access line to the hotel - the discussions on price of this single item for San Francisco apparently ranged all the way from 10 KUSD to 80 KUSD, depending (among other things) on the shortest period of time the local-access company was willing to sell this service for.

It might be possible to find people to *partially* sponsor the terminal room, by letting us set up a fixed-wireless link to their nearest facility and route through their line. Less cash outlay for them, plus it might let us sidestep the extra charges hotels usually (?) levy when you bring in a phone line.

The problem would be getting a sponsor who's got that much spare bandwidth in line-of-sight from the hotel; it'd probably mean the only choices would usually be telecom providers. And any provider that close to the hotel would be on the short list of people from whom to buy access, so sponsoring us would be equivalent to giving away the line.

|John Stracke      |jstracke(_at_)centive(_dot_)com                        |
|Principal Engineer|http://www.centive.com                      |
|Centive           |My opinions are my own.                     |
|If you're going to walk on thin ice, you might as well *dance*!|