A plea for calm

2003-04-03 00:16:41
Folks,

the debate that was triggered by the site-local debate has touched on a lot of topics that are at the very heart of the design of the Internet, and for which we have to make important decisions in the near future.

This is a good and proper discussion to have on this mailing list.

The debate has also touched on the site-local decision of the IPv6 working group, a subject to which there are strong emotions attached. The technical debates on that specific topic belong in the IPv6 WG's mailing list; the larger architectural issues belong (IMHO) here.

However, I must ask participants to try to remember the guidelines for conduct for the IETF, RFC 3184. In particular:

  1. IETF participants extend respect and courtesy to their colleagues
     at all times.

     IETF participants come from diverse origins and backgrounds and
     are equipped with multiple capabilities and ideals.  Regardless of
     these individual differences, participants treat their colleagues
     with respect as persons--especially when it is difficult to agree
     with them.

  2. IETF participants develop and test ideas impartially, without
     finding fault with the colleague proposing the idea.

     We dispute ideas by using reasoned argument, rather than through
     intimidation or ad hominem attack.  Or, said in a somewhat more
     IETF-like way:

           "Reduce the heat and increase the light"

I'm sure we all want to. And I'm also sure we all find it hard to adhere to at times. But we need it in order to get work done.

One more point: An argument does not become stronger by being repeated more often. Of the 175 senders to this list last month, 20 of us contributed more than half the list traffic. If we have made our position clear, the argument is, I think, stronger if it is not repeated - and silence allows other voices to be heard.

Yours for a thoughtful debate,

                    Harald Alvestrand