Re: A modertor for the IETF list? (Re: A plea for calm)

2003-04-04 05:40:57
Dear Harald,

No, the person you're describing does not exist (for the entire
ietf general mailing list), it's a challenge for people to
summarize working group mailing list threads!

BUT ...

A more scalable request might be

"does the person exist who would recognize a thread that is
active and repetitive, who could post a REQUEST for someone to
summarize, and

does the person exist who is willing to summarize a specific
thread that is (1) of interest to the summarizer, and (2) in
danger of ratholing unproductively with no resolution?"

I think this is more likely to be realistic (I don't even read
the uncensored IETF list, much less have time to write the
summary for all active threads, but I bet someone would be
willing to summarize site-local to make it go away/back to the
IPV6 list!)

And, yes, making threads either resolve or go away from the IETF
list is definitely a good thing. I used to be surprised at the
number of active participants who don't subscribe to the IETF
list; honestly, I'm more surprised these days at the number of
people who DO subscribe! and anything that makes it easier for
us to have multi-WG and even multi-area discussions is A Good
Thing.

Spencer

--- Harald Tveit Alvestrand <harald(_at_)alvestrand(_dot_)no> wrote:
Carsten,

you seem to suggest that we should get someone to act as
"secretary" for
debates on the IETF list - now that's a novel and interesting
concept!

(I've seen "moderator" used in 2 ways - the "summarize and
state consensus"
role Carsten mentions below, and the "sanction inappropriate
behaviour"
role that is commonly used with "mailing list moderator" -
these roles
don't have to be done by the same person....)

Two questions for the community:

- Is this a good idea?
- Does the person exist who could do a good job and is willing
to do it?

Food for thought indeed!

                  Harald