Re: A plea for calm

2003-04-06 16:57:56
Carsten,

CB>  there is also a danger
CB> of a "silent majority" in a mailing list.

1.  the IETF is based on active participation.  if a person does not
express their views, the views do not count.  literally does not count.

one might wish the ietf were conducted on a different basis, such as
ensuring that each participant were individually queried.  however
that is not the ietf culture and the culture has had notable success.

so the real responsibility for being heard rests with the participant.

in other words, in the ietf, "silent majority" is an oxymoron.

now, having said that...

CB> I believe the approach cited works best with a moderator that
CB> periodically attempts summaries of the results of the discussion.

2,  you are absolutely correct.  it is key for consensus to be
assessed explicitly.  there are many ways to do it, but it relies on an
"event" taking place in which the assessment is done, or is at least
claimed.

after everyone has had there say, it is important to have the
collection of statements summarized and rough consensus evaluated.
d/
--
 Dave Crocker <mailto:dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>