Re: A simple question

2003-04-24 05:59:01
Hi,

On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 03:26:07PM -0400, Keith Moore wrote:
I would be thrilled if we spent some time thinking about ICMP in
an architectural way - however beautiful it was before ICMP
black holing, what we have now isn't consistently usable today.
We're spending time on point solutions (Matt Mathis on non-ICMP
path MTU discovery as one example), but is this the best we can
do?

I don't think we're likely to be able to dispense with ICMP.  Maybe we
can find more ways to make it more trustworthy.  Or maybe we just need
to discourage people from filtering it.

I don't understand why this is even a point of discussion. Next you hear
some people will like to globally filter TCP RST - will you rewrite TCP
to work without that?

Regards,
        -is