Re: A Good Schism Brightens Anyone's Day

2003-04-29 15:06:48

John Stracke wrote:

Peter Deutsch wrote:

So here are a few things we could ask:

   - So what percentage of machines really are being NATed right now?

   - What percentage of traffic is generated and consumed by NATed
hosts?

And, if someone answers, the next question is, how do they know? NATs
are essentially invisible from the outside.

Actually, there are ways Marketing folks determine such things. They
count the total number of NAT boxes sold, compare this to the total
number of other routers sold, they use (sometimes statistically valid)
sampling methods to survey customers on their deployment patterns, etc.
From this they can provide market segment data for the engineers to do
their planning. Oh, and while at Cisco I met marketing folks who appear
to do something with slaughtering chickens and looking at their
entrails, although I never did figure out how that worked... ;-)

                        - peterd

    Peter Deutsch                       pdeutsch(_at_)gydig(_dot_)com
    Gydig Software

  "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a
   genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people
   who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity."

                                        -- Dave Barry