Re: A Good Schism Brightens Anyone's Day (was: A Simple Question)

2003-04-30 06:56:23
On Tue, 29 Apr 2003 18:45:35 -0500
"Stephen Sprunk" <stephen(_at_)sprunk(_dot_)org> wrote:

Thus spake "John Kristoff" <jtk(_at_)depaul(_dot_)edu>
This seems OK to me and appears to put the burden in the right
place. Shouldn't it be the responsibility of those who are allocated
address space to properly manage it?  Others can still filter on
long and valid prefixes that they expect to hear.

Or, if these non-routed allocations were from a specific
IANA-designated block, providers could simply filter them all with one
directive.

Just to clear up a misconception on my part.  I misread the comment I
was responding to.  Quoting:

"If we allow people to register non-routable globally unique addresses
for private use"

My brain for some reason initially interpretted that as "registering
globally unique addresses, but not having them be routable, due to local
policy", which is a bit different.  For one, it wouldn't accommodate
simple, well known non-routeable filters.

John