Re: A Good Schism Brightens Anyone's Day (was: A Simple Question)

2003-04-30 10:11:26
On woensdag, apr 30, 2003, at 18:20 Europe/Amsterdam, Stephen Sprunk wrote:

this is an interesting point, but I think it has more to do with whether the prefixes are statically bound to customers than the length of those
prefixes.

Of course.

why would  giving customers static /64s result in fewer
routes in your IGP than giving them static /48s?

I was suggesting nothing of the sort; just assumed that _if_ you're going to give a customer something fixed it would be a /48 while a dynamic /48 doesn't make much sense the way things are now.

IMHO, dialup is a bad example because static IPs per customer are rare;
let's switch to the cable/dsl market.

Standard practice is to connect all customers in a given area (or signed up in a given period) to a single concentrator via some sort of virtual circuit (PPPoE, ATM, FR, etc). This concentrator then internally bridges all of these virtual circuits into a single subnet with a single prefix, giving you
one route for N customers.

Ok, I'm not all that familiar with cable/ADSL, but isn't this more often done by giving each customer a virtual point to point link? In the case of PPP over ethernet I don't see how it could work otherwise. Now of course you can then proxy ARP...

OTOH, if you assign a prefix to each customer,
you then have between N+1 and 2N routes for N customers.

Unless you aggregate, of course. For cable/ADSL that shouldn't be a problem as the customers conveniently stay in the same place. :-) Not so with dial.

The latter might
be justified if we're truly committed to eliminating NATs, but it costs a lot more in routes, in administration, and in address waste (assigning a /48
to what is, in nearly all cases, 1-4 hosts).

So we should give them a /126???

I guess a /64 would be enough for most people. You are underestimating the number of hosts, though: don't forget about IP phones, IP radios and stuff like that. And I'm not even counting more obscure examples such as IP refrigirators.