Re: A Good Schism Brightens Anyone's Day (was: A Simple Question)

2003-04-29 18:18:01
Thus spake "John Kristoff" <jtk(_at_)depaul(_dot_)edu>
This seems OK to me and appears to put the burden in the right place.
Shouldn't it be the responsibility of those who are allocated address
space to properly manage it?  Others can still filter on long and valid
prefixes that they expect to hear.

Or, if these non-routed allocations were from a specific IANA-designated
block, providers could simply filter them all with one directive.

...and if its gonna leak anyway, it might as well be globally unique.
Other networks will certainly be less likely to collide and try to
communicate with the leaked space.

Certainly.  However, providers tend to advertise whatever customers pay them
to advertise, so these "non routable" blocks may end up permanently
reachable from non-trivial portions of the Internet.

There are some applications, such as pre-positioned content caching, where
it's desirable to only have connectivity to those topologically "close".
Overall, though, this makes it even more important that we find a workable
solution to the multiple-address problem.