Re: The utilitiy of IP is at stake here

2003-06-02 12:53:11
On Sun, 01 Jun 2003 23:43:13 +0200, Anthony Atkielski
<anthony(_at_)atkielski(_dot_)com>  said:
Valdis writes:

The guys at LSoft Inc feel otherwise...

The guys at LSoft Inc are welcome to express themselves directly here.

*plonk*.  Solipsism has no place in protocol design.

That's *only* for LSoft's Listserv product, and
does *NOT* include all the intranet installs of
Listserv.

Two points: (1) you don't seem to be counting people subscribed to more than
one list; and (2) how would spammers harvest from INTRANET installs of
Listserv?

Granted, but since *your* claim is that most people don't do any mailing
lists, or very few, I'm not willing to concede any adjustment there.

Either you have 120M people each on one list, or most people are on more
than one - your choice.

I'm subscribed to dozens of mailing lists, many administered by Listserv.
Am I one person, or a hundred?

Again - when dealing with 120M subscriptions, you get the benefit of the
doubt here only if you are willing to stipulate that the *average* behavior
is different than what you said.  Sure, it's only 20M people(*) if the *average*
person is on 6 lists - but that's not the behavior you claimed is average.

I think we can conclude that a great many
Internet users *DO* participate in mailing lists.

I think not, in part for reasons I've stated above.

/Valdis

(*) Feel free to work the exact number out for a Gaussian distrib around a
mean of 6 with different standard deviations if you want - we're talking
ballpark numbers here anyhow. ;)