Re: CLOSE ASRG NOW IT HAS FAILED

2003-06-16 12:15:24
Disks are cheap.  250Gig is under $400, and works just fine for slightly
long term storage.

                --Dean

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003, Paul Hoffman / IMC wrote:

At 11:27 AM -0600 6/16/03, Vernon Schryver wrote:
All contributions that are rejected
by any moderators (including spam filters) of any IRTF or IETF mailing
lists must be archived and should be published on web pages somewhere.

FWIW, some of the IETF WG mailing lists that IMC runs get >10 spams a
day, and often get the virus/trojans that are >120K each. This is not
an insignificant amount of junk to wade through when looking for
proof of moderator badness/goodness.

And there's also the problem of robots that harvest everything,
regardless of your robots.txt file. If we had a system like you
describe, it would be believable that the archives would get a fair
number of hits from people searching for pr0n but finding our archive
of spam instead.

I think that having all bounces (for whatever reason) archived is
fine; I think having it as "web pages somewhere" is overkill. Access
to one of the big text archives can be a trivial password given to
anyone who wants it for research purposes.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium