Re: archiving of spam (was CLOSE ARSG etc...)

2003-06-16 18:11:22
I think that having all bounces (for whatever reason) archived is
fine; I think having it as "web pages somewhere" is overkill.

both the volume of spam, and the ratio of spam to legitimate content are
so high, that I'm not sure how much longer it will be practical to
archive it.  if we were to archive rejected messages, it should probably
only be for a few weeks.

My rolling 40 day log of all spam sent to my traps or real addresses
contains about 34,484 samples in a total of about 242 Mbytes or an
average of about 7 KBytes/spam.  (Each sample is truncated to ~32 KBytes.)

Judging from DCC numbers from a bunch of medium sized ISPs, the typical
consumer mailbox receives about 10 messages/day (more than 5, less
than 20), of which about half are spam.  (Never mind that judicious
"unsubscribing" can reduce that by about 50%.)

well, some of the IETF lists that I maintain seem to get around 50 spams/day
(at least, if I go away for a day before I cull through the posts from
nonsubscribers, I am likely to wind up with 60+ messages on some of those
lists, of which 59.5 are spam)

but it's not the cost of the disk that matters, it's the cost of backing it
up.  I can think of better things to spend IETF money on.