Re: CLOSE ASRG NOW IT HAS FAILED

2003-06-16 17:59:22
From: David Morris <dwm(_at_)xpasc(_dot_)com>

My understanding is that The Mail Archive
(http://www.mail-archive.com/lists.html)  will provide free storage for
mailing lists.  I think every WG list should be permanetly archived in
this manner.

What a great way to help address harvesters ... one site ... one 'API' to
program against to harvest many valid addresses. This particular archive
example hides email addresses, but it took me less that 5 minutes to
determine how to recover addresses from the page data.

So I don't think the suggested policy is a good idea without much more
effective blocking of access to email addresses.

Hmmmph!  So only the addresses of authors of messages that are not
spam or otherwise rejected by IETF and IRTF moderation should be
harvested from the existing archives?

It's clear that the price of admission to a public, technical anti-spam
mailing list like the ASRG list should include sufficient practical
knowledge of spam including enough spam defenses to obviate any worries
about exposing one's address.  A similar de facto policy in other IRTF
and IETF lists to discourage tourists would not be a bad thing.