Re: full list for moderated list (was: CLOSE ASRG NOW IT HAS FAILED)

2003-06-17 08:07:57
I think the original idea was better - to only have web archive of those
posts that did not make it through to the main list. If technically easily
possible I'd also suggest marking on the main index if post was denied by
moderator or denied by spam filter. And having this archive for only past
3 months seems just fine for that purpose.

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, James M Galvin wrote:

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:

    > The suggestion of having two lists, one filtered and a second named
    > whatever-noise, both with open archives, sounds fine to me, but wouldn't
    > help the ASRG case.

    the ICANN DNSO GA list operated with "ga" and "ga-full" lists
    ("full" being all spam, crosspostings and postings from moderated
    posters in addition to the normal list traffic).

    the ga-full list was, I believe, not archived.

    it served to silence the complaints that it wouldn't be possible to
    see if moderation was fair or not, which richly repaid the work of
    setting it up - I think it had approximately 5 memebers.

The presence of the second list may have served its purpose in this case
but I believe the mechanism is flawed.  A temporary archive is also
required.

The point should not be to require people to subscribe to the "full"
list in order to review the actions of the moderator but rather to
have the full list available for review should an issue arise.

To require the subscription begs the question of why have two lists?
Two lists give the *perception* of fairness and positive action but
provide marginal (at best) support for review beyond what can be done
when only the "moderated" list is available.  You still have to contact
one of the members to get prior messages or depend on the "victim" to
provide copies of messages submitted that were rejected.

What is required is a full list (with or without subscribers) with an
archive that includes everything (except viruses and obvious spam) for a
period of time.  I happen to like 10 days but I've heard others suggest
that it really needs to be much longer, perhaps 30, 60, or even 90 days.

Jim