RE: WG review: Layer 2 Virtual Private Networks (l2vpn)

2003-06-18 14:10:43
Melinda,

As a process kind of thing, I'm also concerned about the
growth of the "temporary" sub-IP area, so I think there are
issues here with both the work itself and in how the IETF
goes about taking on and structuring its work.

And proposals have been made to dismantle the SUBIP area and place the remaining
WGs in the most appropriate areas (some of them are pretty much done with their
chartered work).  The chartering of L2 and L3VPN WGs gives a little more focus,
and limits the solution space.

It's not the creation of the temporary SUBIP area that caused the growth of the
WGs.  It's the natural progression of the opportunities that MPLS provided that
led to the application WGs such as PWE3, PPVPN, etc.

Melinda

-Vach