Re: Proposal to define a simple architecture to differentiate legitimate bulk email from Spam (UBE)

2003-09-07 14:15:58
At 04:24 AM 9/8/2003 +0800, Shelby Moore wrote:

At 11:51 AM 9/7/2003 +0800, you wrote:
You can get mail no matter where you are with a POP account also.

shelby, that's actually not true. If you have an enterprise email service
that requires access to a VPN and the internet service you access it with
(e.g hotel room ethernet) has a bad firewall configuration, you may never
get to the mail. I speak with personal experience - the hotel I am in right
now has screwed up its firewall. I ended up having to find an 802.11 hotspot
to get to my email.

I understand but that was not my point.  My point is that you can put a
web-based interface on top of your POP account to access it any where.  You
still have a POP account which you are accessing any where if that is what you
want.  The web-based interface is just another form of an email client.

that's different - what you said was as quoted above. I agree that if you
design the web server properly, you can use a web interface, but you run the
risk that with this design, you may never be able to pull the email later,
POPStyle, into your computer. Although it is theoretically possible, using POP
(rather than IMAP) to leave the mail on the server until you pull it again with
POP, many servers appear to clear out the mail after POPing it. I think John
Klensin made that observation in an earlier exchange.

The point is that you don't need to use a web-based email without an
underlying POP account in order to access email from any where.  There are
even places where HTTP web-based interface won't work (e.g. cell phone) and so
you need to use a different form of email client to access.  Still you can
have an underlying POP account that mail is being drawn from.

see above.

Vint Cerf
SVP Technology Strategy
MCI
22001 Loudoun County Parkway, F2-4115
Ashburn, VA 20147
703 886 1690 (v806 1690)
703 886 0047 fax
vinton(_dot_)g(_dot_)cerf(_at_)mci(_dot_)com
www.mci.com/cerfsup