Re: Proposal to define a simple architecture to differentiate legitimate bulk email from Spam (UBE)

2003-09-07 00:51:29
On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 14:02:30 +0800, Shelby Moore said:

POPing once (one list mailing) versus processing one email with zillion RCPT
TOs (one list mailing) is not a very big cost difference.  One might be
slightly less than the other and we really can't say which one, but it is
irrelevant because the difference is insignificant.

When you compare  a successful SMTP to a successful POP, yes.

Actually it is more likely that when they POP they will get several messages
at once, so less cost than catch several SMTP emails.

Actually, the most likely is "POP once an hour for a once-a-week posting, and
you've totally blown 167 pointless transactions".  And in fact, unless you're
able
to make the POP check frequency less than the posting frequency, you'll lose.

Whitelisting can be subverted by spammers:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/internet/09/01/spam.chainletter/index.html

"If I were a spammer, I'd be working very hard to perfect this technique," he
said..."

And your proposal does nothing to stop this, since it won't look like bulk mail,
it will look like personal mail.   From people you know and trust, and
everything.

Yes we probably do.  Just because the DCC can not measure bulk email reliably
 doesn't mean Hosts, ISPs, and other software can not.  BrightMail already is
(
just signup for an Earthlink account and try really hard to get some spam),
and
I will also be probably be demonstrating something soon.

So why do we need to move off mailing lists, when the problem is solved?

It is has nothing to do with what spammers will or will not do.  It has to do

Actually, it has everything to do with what they will or wont do.

with what Hosts, ISPs, etc are currently prevented from doing.  Since they can
not determine what is spam, they can not enforce any law.

And separating out mailing list traffic doesn't change matters, really.

You're left with a lot of non-bulk high-volume business e-mail (yes, you WANT
this to get through, otherwise Amazon doesn't have a way to tell you easily
about a problem with your order, or similar), a lot of person-to-person mail,
and a lot of spam pretending to be one or the other of the above.  The only
thing you've cut out is spam to mailing lists - and if you can solve the OTHER
two flavors above, then this third is a non-issue anyhow.

Given that so much spam is already breaking some law, why do you think "the ISPs
could enforce a NEW law" would make any difference?

From another note:

Yes my proposal depends on that fact.  Once you have the legitimate email
separated from the spam architecturally, then you can effectively increase the
cost of spamming to the point it is a non-economically viable activity.

This would be wonderful, except what you're separating isn't legitimate/spam,
it's mailing list/non mailing list.  The two are orthogonal concepts.

*plonk* Somebody wake me up if Shelby starts addressing the actual problem,
rather than an orthogonal non-problem....