Re: [Fwd: [Asrg] Verisign: All Your ...

2003-09-18 09:39:19
On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 12:04:31 EDT, Dean Anderson said:
You have yet explain how is it misreporting anything.  It in fact
reporting that the domain is available for purchase. How is that
misreporting?

Well.. let's follow this line of reasoning.  If I mail to a domain, *and it gets
a pointer to a mail server* then we can conclude one of the following:

1) The domain is *NOT* available for purchase, because it is *IN USE* by
at  least that mail server.

2) The domain is available, but is in the DNS.  This would by all reasonable
people be judged a miscommunication between the registrar of record and the DNS
server, as there is data in the DNS that is not in any registrar.

If their bogus mailserver answered with an RFC1846 style reply:

521 mailserver.this-never-existed.com Domain Not In Use, contact <...> to
purchase

you would *ALMOST* have a leg to stand on.