Re: [Fwd: [Asrg] Verisign: All Your ...

2003-09-19 21:30:52
On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 Valdis(_dot_)Kletnieks(_at_)vt(_dot_)edu wrote:

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 12:04:31 EDT, Dean Anderson said:
You have yet explain how is it misreporting anything.  It in fact
reporting that the domain is available for purchase. How is that
misreporting?

Well.. let's follow this line of reasoning.  If I mail to a domain, *and it
gets
a pointer to a mail server* then we can conclude one of the following:

1) The domain is *NOT* available for purchase, because it is *IN USE* by
at  least that mail server.

No, that isn't correct. If you want to purchase a domain, you have to
check the registry database via whois.

2) The domain is available, but is in the DNS.  This would by all
reasonable people be judged a miscommunication between the registrar of
record and the DNS server, as there is data in the DNS that is not in
any registrar.

Again, the method you describe is not a valid or method for determining if
domains are available. Nor is it one that any reasonable person would use
to determine if a domain was available for purchase.  So it has no value
as a rationale to justify the claim that something has been misreported.

                --Dean