Re: [Fwd: [Asrg] Verisign: All Your ...

2003-09-19 21:31:13

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 hardie(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com wrote:

At 8:51 AM -0700 09/18/2003, Bill Manning wrote:
    ok, what about DoC & ICANN agreements w/ VSGN giving them
    the authority to continue to register in and publish
    the .COM and .NET domains?  That looks like an entitlment to me.

Think it from a set theory perspective for a second.  They have been
given the contract to populate a set (*registered* domains in COM. and
NET.) and publish that set (through DNS, ftp-able zone files, whois,
phone calls and so on). For this publication method, this behavior
eliminates the ability to determine whether the item is in or out of the
set.  This has a couple of consequences:

DNS, Zone files, etc, are not acceptable means to query the set.

1)  The different publication methods are out of synch.

DNS is always out of sync with the set. It comes close twice per day. But
even then it is out of sync probably before the zone transfers are
complete.  This is why there is only one method (whois) that is acceptable
to query the set.

2)  Those parts of the application infrastructure of the Internet which
have protocol processing choices depending on that set membership
response will get the protocol processing wrong.

They were wrong to begin with.  They shouldn't be depending on this
behavior. We've told those people that for a long time. We even discussed
removing reverse DNS from IPv6, just because of the substantial damages
caused by this incorrect use.

                --Dean