Re: i18n name badges

2003-11-19 13:05:54
At 08:23 AM 11/19/2003, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
Proposals for making email addresses fully internationalized were a hot topic in Minneapolis. I'd like to suggest a more modest reform: fully internationalized IETF name badges. IETF 59 might be a fine venue for rolling those out...

No problem, as long as nobody expects anyone in particular to actually be able to *read* the name badges. I don't read Han (simplified or traditional), Korean, Kanji, Cyrillic, Arab (either alphabet) or a variety of other alphabets. I manage with umlauts and such, because I can make a noise and the other person can say "yes, that's me, the way you pronounce my name is...". But I have no clue how to start in a non-ascii-like alphabet, and frankly with tonal languages such as Chinese my western mouth is likely to injure the person's name trying to get it out.

Aside: I had a Taiwanese employee once who would periodically give me lessons on how to say her name. It sounded to *me* like I was pronouncing it her way. One can only wonder what she was hearing...

Just speaking for myself, one of the things I really like about name badges is being able to determine, upon inspection, what to call the person standing in front of me.

BTW, while I understand that many Asians can read each other's writing, I don't think that implies they can read Cyrillic or Arab either. They're in a similar boat, if not the same one.

What I would suggest, if we do this, is writing the person's name *twice*: once in their native character set, and once in a form that an english-reader can read. The latter is an established interchange architecture.