Re: i18n name badges

2003-11-22 08:25:39
James,

My apologies for being a bit cryptic -- I hoped people would understand the issues well enough by now to get the point. The difference between the design of --and hopes for-- IDNA and what is happening is something the community needs to understand and be better informed about. The design of Punycode was for machine-to-machine communication, as you point out. It was never really intended or expected to "leak" into use environments. Indeed, it was chosen, in preference to some other options, on the grounds that

        * it could be deployed quickly,

        * applications could (and would) be speedily updated to
        support it and provide proper "native" character set
        presentation to users,

        * when it did leak, users would find that acceptable
        because they could always convert to and from
        native/local characters with cut and paste and
        readily-available tools.

The reality so far is different. The IDN browser world has turned into one of conflicting plug-ins, apparently none of which are fully satisfactory. For other applications, the conversion/ upgrade rate has been low and most estimates seem to point to its being at least 18 more months before we see significant progress in applications that have really wide deployment (and estimates that optimistic often depend on other conditions or contingencies that might or might not happen). So IDNA/punycode is leaking a lot, and can be expected to leak a lot for the next several years, at least. And that implies that the IETF community should probably understand what it looks like and what the issues are in converting to and from it, including the fact that, for expression of "names", nameprep is a lossy conversion. And that is precisely the "eat our own dogfood" point. More important, we need to think about --and probably experience-- that point as we consider approaches for email local parts, which more often contain names about which people are _really_ sensitive.

    john