Re: /48 micro allocations for v6 root servers, was: national security

2003-12-07 14:30:31
On 7-dec-03, at 20:52, Paul Vixie wrote:

Just for fun, I cooked up a named.root file with only those IPv6 addresses
in it. This seems to confuse BIND such that its behavior becomes very
unpredictable.

hmmm.  that configuration works fine for me here.

Ok... But does it also do anything useful? My understanding of what happens when a resolver starts is that it asks a root server for the list of root servers and then uses that list from then on. Since this list only contains IPv4 addresses currently that initial query is also the last one done over IPv6.

                  and the other as a /48 which are heavily filtered.

not according to the RIR's. at least in ARIN's case the micro-allocation policy seems to have met with approval by the membership, which is why we're using a /48 for f-root. if this is a bad idea because all kinds of ISP's won't be accepting such routes even though they seem to be grouped together in a place where a different prefix filter could be employed, then you ought to tell the RIR's this and get the microallocation policies altered or torn
down.

What I see is this:

http://www.ripe.net/ripe/docs/ipv6-policies.html#minimum_allocation

which doesn't mention micro allocations and is newer than this:

http://www.arin.net/policy/2001_3.html

ARIN does maintain a list of individual micro allocations at http://www.arin.net/registration/ipv6/micro_alloc.html but they don't bother saying which address blocks future ones will be coming from.

I think this stuff is too important to leave up to individual RIRs.

(i personally don't think a /35 route with just one host in it makes
much sense,

Agree.